It is human nature for someone to want to strike back at someone when they are offended. I didn’t say it is the right thing to do, but usually the first thing a person wants to do is get even. No one likes to be mocked, ridiculed or hurt by someone else. One thing that a Christian must work on is self control. They should present themselves to others as a Christian and not as someone who is worldly. Christians should not retaliate against others but have forgiveness. Lets look at examples in the Bible to show us how we should act.
- Isaiah 53:7 says, “He was oppressed, and he was afflicted, yet he opened not his mouth: he is brought as a lamb to the slaughter, and as a sheep before her shearers is dumb, so he openeth not his mouth.”
- 1 Peter 3:9 says, “Not rendering evil for evil, or railing for railing: but contrariwise blessing; knowing that ye are thereunto called, that ye should inherit a blessing.”
- James 4:11 says, “Speak not evil one of another, brethren. He that speaketh evil of his brother, and judgeth his brother, speaketh evil of the law, and judgeth the law: but if thou judge the law, thou art not a doer of the law, but a judge.”
- James 3:2 says, “2 For in many things we offend all. If any man offend not in word, the same is a perfect man, and able also to bridle the whole body.”
- Romans 12:19 says, “Dearly beloved, avenge not yourselves, but rather give place unto wrath: for it is written, Vengeance is mine; I will repay, saith the Lord.”
God is just and he is the judge of all men. I did not say we could not be angry for the sake of the gospel, but we should watch our actions. We are to be angry because of the sins of the world and stand up for what is right, but we are not to retaliate by doing something that is wrong.
If you are a Christian and stand for the name of the Lord, you will have persecution. Anyone that is righteous will be persecuted, mocked and ridiculed because they are living for Christ. Satan does not like it when a Christian does things for the name of the Lord. He will use every means possible to try to discourage you or prevent you from doing God’s will. He will use family, friends, other believers to discourage you. He will cause jealousy to rise in others because of your work for the Lord. Ephesians 6:13-15 says, “ Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand.14 Stand therefore, having your loins girt about with truth, and having on the breastplate of righteousness;15 And your feet shod with the preparation of the gospel of peace;
1 Peter 4:14 says, “If ye be reproached for the name of Christ, happy are ye; for the spirit of glory and of God resteth upon you: on their part he is evil spoken of, but on your part he is glorified.”
Psalm 39:1 says, “I said, I will take heed to my ways, that I sin not with my tongue: I will keep my mouth with a bridle while the wicked is before me.”
Reblogged from 2013.