In the 1800’s John Marshall, chief justice of the United States Supreme Court, wrote to President James Madison and said, “The church is too far gone ever to be redeemed.” When we examine why, we find that preachers had stopped preaching the whole Gospel of Jesus Christ, and the people were not hearing God’s Word. (Franklin Graham). It wasn’t until later that men of God starting praying and there was a revival again in the land.
Today we look at the decline of the churches because preachers are not preaching the truth. Their hearts are not into serving the Lord. They are preaching and leading the churches because of their own selfish reasons including filthy lucre (money). Jim Burgen a pastor at the Flatirons Community Church has went as far as preaching at a bar and getting a tattoo. Then he preached a sermon supporting gay rights saying, “he believes we ought to welcome gays and love them.” The Bible never told us to do what we “think” but what God says in his word. God set up specific commandments and ordiances in the Bible to tell us about how men ought to behave; specific laws and ordinances can be found in Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers and Deuteronomy. If you don’t know what God thinks about something, try reading your Bible. Deuteronomy 28:14 says, “And thou shalt not go aside from any of the words which I command thee this day, to the right hand, or to the left, to go after other gods to serve them.” Now concerning whether God likes tattoos lets look at Leviticus 19:28: “Ye shall not make any cuttings in your flesh for the dead, nor print any marks upon you: I am the Lord.”
A preacher should set himself apart from other men. Ezekiel 43 talks about the men of God. “They have even defiled my holy name by their abominations that they have committed. Now let them put away their whoredom.” Ezekiel 44 tells the men of God, “In that ye have brought into my sanctuary strangers, uncircumcised in heart, and uncircumcised in flesh, to be in my sanctuary, to pollute it, even my house, when ye offer my bread, the fat and the blood, and they have broken my covenant because of all your abominations. And ye have not kept the charge of mine holy things: but ye have set keepers of my charge in my sanctuary for yourselves.” Jeremiah 2:8 says, “The priests said not, Where is the Lord? and they that handle the law knew me not: the pastors also transgressed against me, and the prophets prophesied by Baal, and walked after things that do not profit.” Jeremiah 23:1 says, “Woe be unto the pastors that destroy and scatter the sheep of my pasture! saith the Lord.”
Pastors and Preachers should be called of God (Jeremiah 3:15). The Lord set up different men to perform certain functions of the church. Ephesians 4:11,12 says, “And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers; For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ:” Men should not think of this position lightly, because God will punish you if you do not follow his laws and do wickedness (Jeremiah 23). 2 Timothy 4:2 says, “Preach the word; be instant in season, out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort with all long suffering and doctrine.” Do not change your views because it is considered out of season. God doesn’t change his commandments to serve wicked men or to appease men.
Today many are led away by false doctrines and beliefs. News headlines lately state:
- The Moravian Church’s Northern Province approved a proposal to allow gays and lesbians to be ordained and to create a religious ceremony for same-sex couples.
- A television reality show features six megachurch ministers who claim their material wealth—including expensive cars, large mansions, and designer clothing—is a sign of God’s blessing.
- First “Gay Marriage” now the “Division of Israel” for the Presbyterian Church
- The five churchgoing members of the Alabama Criminal Court of Appeals unanimously struck down the state’s ban on sodomy on Friday, stating that Alabama’s law against sex acts between those of the same gender is unconstitutional.
- Muslims ‘Offended’ by Gospel Tract Distributed by Virginia Church – Bible Baptist Church
- “Homosexual couples in Denmark … won the right to get married in any church they choose, even though nearly one-third of the country’s priests have said they will refuse to carry out the ceremonies.”
- The leaders of a Southern Baptist congregation in southern California have voted to not dismiss their ‘pastor,’ despite recently stunning his congregation in announcing from the pulpit that he believes homosexual behavior is not a sin.
- The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints excommunicates founder of women’s group because they found her guilty of apostasy, defined as repeated and public advocacy of positions that oppose church teachings.
- The 221st General Assembly of the Presbyterian Church approved a recommendation from its Civil Union and Marriage Issues Committee allowing for pastoral discretion to perform “any such marriage they believe the Holy Spirit calls them to perform.
- Meet the Manly Megachurch Behind This Controversial Message on Beer, Marijuana
- California Baptist Church Changes Views On Homosexuality After Pastor’s Gay Son Comes Out
- Pope says “Celibacy not a matter of church dogma
Pastor John Piper was asked on his talk show if there was a difference between film nudity versus pornography? His sober response was, ”The closer I get to death and meeting Jesus personally face to face, and giving an account for my life and for the careless words that I have spoken, the more sure I am of my resolve never intentionally to look at a television show or a movie or a website or a magazine where I know I will see photos or films of nudity” (CharismaNews). He knew that he would have to give account, one day, to God for his actions.
See a true man of God will study God’s word and seek what God says is right and what is wrong and will teach others to seek the truth. He will not turn from the left nor to the right. He knows that one day he will give account for his actions on this earth. 2 Timothy 2:15 says, “Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.”
Jeremiah 23:14- I have seen also in the prophets of Jerusalem an horrible thing: they commit adultery, and walk in lies: they strengthen also the hands of evildoers, that none doth return from his wickedness; they are all of them unto me as Sodom, and the inhabitants thereof as Gomorrah.
Jeremiah 23:34- And as for the prophet, and the priest, and the people, that shall say, The burden of the Lord, I will even punish that man and his house.
Jeremiah 23:31,32- Behold, I am against the prophets, saith the Lord, that use their tongues, and say, He saith. Behold, I am against them that prophesy false dreams, saith the Lord, and do tell them, and cause my people to err by their lies, and by their lightness; yet I sent them not, nor commanded them: therefore they shall not profit this people at all, saith the Lord.
Acts 2:8 -Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.
Colossians 1:28- Whom we preach, warning every man, and teaching every man in all wisdom; that we may present every man perfect in Christ Jesus:
1 Timothy 3:2-4- A bishop then must be blameless, the husband of one wife, vigilant, sober, of good behaviour, given to hospitality, apt to teach; Not given to wine, no striker, not greedy of filthy lucre; but patient, not a brawler, not covetous; One that ruleth well his own house, having his children in subjection with all gravity.
1 Peter 5:8- Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour:
Vigilant means: keenly alert to or heedful of trouble or danger, as while others are sleeping or unsuspicious. He should look at things going on around him that are contrary to the word of the Lord.