Christmas is the season of giving. We should all learn how to give by God’s example; he gave his only begotten son so we may have eternal life. In this season, I urge you to find ways to give to others. Giving doesn’t always mean giving money to someone in need; it can be giving of your time. To give means to freely transfer the possession of (something) to (someone); hand over to. Another definition of giving means to endure the loss of; sacrifice. Jesus gave his life as a sacrifice for the sins of the world.
Give unto others and expect nothing back in return. Do not let others know what you have done. Give in secret and you will receive a reward in Heaven. Luke 6:35 says, But love ye your enemies, and do good, and lend, hoping for nothing again; and your reward shall be great, and ye shall be the children of the Highest: for he is kind unto the unthankful and to the evil. Giving should be done with charity (1 Corinthians 13:3).
Give the gift of the gospel to others (1 Peter 4:10). If you love others you want them to receive the gift of salvation. Romans 6:23 says, For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.
Prayer can be a great gift to give someone. If someone is hurting or in the need of God, prayer can be just want they need. Sometimes people cannot pray for themselves. They could be in a hospital unable to pray. Give the gift of prayer and ask others to help you pray for someone this season.
There is no greater gift to give than that of your only son. For God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish but have everlasting life (John 3:16).
More definitions of giving:
a. To devote or apply completely
b. To permit one to have or take
c. To furnish or contribute
d. To offer in good faith
e. To allot as a portion or share
f. To bestow
g. To attribute
h. To award as due
I. To distribute
j. To devote (oneself) completely:
k. To devote to a particular purpose or use
l. To distribute or send forth
- Matthew 19:21 Jesus said unto him, If thou wilt be perfect, go and sell that thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come and follow me.
- Mark 9:41 For whosoever shall give you a cup of water to drink in my name, because ye belong to Christ, verily I say unto you, he shall not lose his reward.
- Luke 1: 76 And thou, child, shalt be called the prophet of the Highest: for thou shalt go before the face of the Lord to prepare his ways; 77 To give knowledge of salvation unto his people by the remission of their sins.
- Luke 6:38 Give, and it shall be given unto you; good measure, pressed down, and shaken together, and running over, shall men give into your bosom. For with the same measure that ye mete withal it shall be measured to you again.
- 1 Corinthians 13:1 Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal. 2 And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries, and all knowledge; and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, and have not charity, I am nothing. 3 And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, and have not charity, it profiteth me nothing.
- Matthew 16:27 For the Son of man shall come in the glory of his Father with his angels; and then he shall reward every man according to his works.
- 1 Peter 4:10 As every man hath received the gift, even so minister the same one to another, as good stewards of the manifold grace of God.
- James 1:17 Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and cometh down from the Father of lights, with whom is no variableness, neither shadow of turning.
- 2 Corinthians 9:14 And by their prayer for you, which long after you for the exceeding grace of God in you. Thanks be unto God for his unspeakable gift.
- Ephesians 2:8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:
- Romans 5:15 But not as the offence, so also is the free gift. For if through the offence of one many be dead, much more the grace of God, and the gift by grace, which is by one man, Jesus Christ, hath abounded unto many.
- Ephesians 2:8
For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: