It is sad to hear of so many young people killing themselves because of bullying. Verbal slurs, mocking someone, taunting and physical threats often lead some teenagers to suicide. Bullying is a growing concern and problem of adolescents, which is increasingly conducted in cyberspace as well as in the schoolyard. Some bullying may be caused by peer pressure, other times from jealousy and mere hatred. This type of conduct affects adolescents psychologically and should be stopped. Authorities are looking into several cases where young girls and boys committed suicide due to harassment by other teens. An anti-bullying law will soon go into affect that will help prevent such crimes.
It is imperative to stop such crimes because they are ungodly. These actions are evil and those who do such things will be held accountable for their actions. If you are one that is being bullied, we ask you to get help from someone; someone that will listen. Tell your teacher, parent or a friend. If you are one that witness such things, we urge you to tell someone. You might save a life.
Examples of bullying that led to suicide involved:
- Knocking books out of someone’s hands on purpose.
- Throwing things at someone
- Yelling at someone and calling them names.
- Taunting and physical threats
- Posting things on the internet that are degrading
- Physical assault such as hitting or sexual assault.
- Allowing someone else to be abused and not stopping it.
Look at the following verses that teach us how to treat others.
- Luke 6:31 says, And as ye would that men should do to you, do ye also to them likewise.
- 1 Thessalonians 5:15 says, See that none render evil for evil unto any man; but ever follow that which is good, both among yourselves, and to all men.
- 1 Peter 3:9 says, Not rendering evil for evil, or railing for railing: but contrariwise blessing; knowing that ye are thereunto called, that ye should inherit a blessing.
- Matthew 5:44 says, But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you;
- Matthew 18:10 says, Take heed that ye despise not one of these little ones; for I say unto you, That in heaven their angels do always behold the face of my Father which is in heaven.
- Mark 9:42 says, And whosoever shall offend one of these little ones that believe in me, it is better for him that a millstone were hanged about his neck, and he were cast into the sea.