Pride is defined two ways in dictionaries. One is a positive type of pride and the other is negative. A positive type is when one is honored by one’s accomplishments whether it is himself or his children. The negative aspect of pride is feeling a high regard or self esteem for oneself which makes one have an ego or thoughts of self entitlement making them appear arrogant. This is the type of pride that God hates. A prideful person usually lacks compassion. They usually look the other way when someone is in need.
Pride will keep us from humility which is the complete opposite. Humility is a quality of being modest, lacking pretense, not thinking oneself is superior to others. Some look at humility as being timid and lacking self esteem. Humility is an honorable trait that can help everyone in all aspects of their lives. Whether in our personal lives or in our business lives, humility is something that will help us to maintain our customers, drive more sales, and build lasting friendships. Without humility it is impossible to love others the way they should be loved. We cannot love others because we care only for our own happiness and not the happiness of others. Pride can be a stumbling block to others if we use it to overpass someone else’s worth. Pride makes it hard for a sinner to receive Jesus Christ. To find out if you have pride in your life that needs to be resolved, lets ask ourselves these questions.
- Are you one of those who thinks that you deserve more than someone else?
- Do you think you are better than another person?
- Do you think that you contribute to the world more than someone else?
- Do you turn up your nose at someone because of lack of fortune or the clothes they wear?
- Have you ever found yourself backing away from someone because you thought they were nasty?
- Do you think you deserve more than someone else?
- Do you look at other races as beneath you?
- Do you catch yourself hiding things from others because you think they will steal from you.
- Do you have a hard time accepting something from someone else because you think it is dirty or the person is dirty?
- Do you have praises of men?
You might think that these are weird questions and that no one would say yes to these. I hate to inform you but these questions resemble people that I have met in life. These questions represent real people. People who judge themselves above others, people who think they deserve more in life. Do you think that Jesus judged others as beneath him? Did he say to Peter, don’t bother telling the Gentiles about me, for they will not be able to receive salvation. No. God said go out and preach the gospel to all.
Another example of pride is when someone refuses to say I am sorry when they have wronged someone. Asking someone to forgive us is probably the hardest thing to do in life. Without humility it is hard to have forgiveness.
Religious scholars tell how Pride is written as a deadly sin throughout the Bible. A person with too much pride lacks compassion. It is hard for a person with pride to show compassion on the needy because they thing they are beneath them. Here are some examples from the Bible that teaches us about Pride and how Jesus showed compassion on the poor.
- Proverbs 16:17-19- Pride goeth before destruction, and an haughty spirit before a fall.
- Proverbs 6:16 -These six things doth the Lord hate: yea, seven are an abomination unto him:
A proud look, a lying tongue, and hands that shed innocent blood,
- Psalm 10:2 –The wicked in his pride doth persecute the poor: let them be taken in the devices that they have imagined.
- Psalm 10:4 –The wicked, through the pride of his countenance, will not seek after God: God is not in all his thoughts.
- Proverbs 8:13 –The fear of the Lord is to hate evil: pride, and arrogancy, and the evil way, and the froward mouth, do I hate.
- 1 John 2:16 – For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father, but is of the world.
- Mark 7:21-22 –For from within, out of the heart of men, proceed evil thoughts, adulteries, fornications, murders, Thefts, covetousness, wickedness, deceit, lasciviousness, an evil eye, blasphemy, pride, foolishness:
- Galatians 3: 14,28- That the blessing of Abraham might come on the Gentiles through Jesus Christ; that we might receive the promise of the Spirit through faith. There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female: for ye are all one in Christ Jesus.
- Luke 14:23- And the lord said unto the servant, Go out into the highways and hedges, and compel them to come in, that my house may be filled.
- Matthew 15:32- Then Jesus called his disciples unto him, and said, I have compassion on the multitude, because they continue with me now three days, and have nothing to eat: and I will not send them away fasting, lest they faint in the way.
- 1 John 3:17- But whoso hath this world’s good, and seeth his brother have need, and shutteth up his bowels of compassion from him, how dwelleth the love of God in him?
- Luke 16:15- And he said unto them, Ye are they which justify yourselves before men; but God knoweth your hearts: for that which is highly esteemed among men is abomination in the sight of God.
- Romans 12:3- For I say, through the grace given unto me, to every man that is among you, not to think of himself more highly than he ought to think; but to think soberly, according as God hath dealt to every man the measure of faith.